DEPARTMENT OF ZOOLOGY
- Name and address of the department: DEPARTMENT OF ZOOLOGY
O. & Dist. Bongaigaon
- Telephone number/s: 03664-228808 (College office)
- Date of establishment of the Department: 1986-87
- Built-up area of the department in sq. m. : 109 Sq. m
- Programmes offered:
|Programme||Level of study||Cut-off marks at entry level in %||Student strength|
|B.Sc (Major)||UG||Passed H.S (Sc) exam. with at least 40% marks in Biology||30|
|B.Sc (General)||UG||Passed H.S (Sc) exam. with at least 30% marks in Biology.||80|
- List the Faculty:
|Name of the Teaching staff||Designation||Qualification||Specialisation|
|Sri. Pranay Kr. Deka.||Associate Professor||M.Sc.||Fish & Fishery Biology.|
|Dr. Biplab Kr. Saha.||Associate Professor||M. Sc, B. Ed, Ph. D||Cell, Molecular Biology & Reproductive Biology|
|Mrs. Purnima Devi||Associate Professor& HOD||M.Sc.||Fish & Fishery Biology|
|Sri Nilkamal Choudhury||Assistant Professor (Contractual)||M. Sc|
Laboratory Bearer: Sri Nripen Ray
- The Department monitors overall performance of the students through regularly conducting assignment, unit tests, seminars, group discussions, fieldworks, etc.
- The Faculty members update themselves by attending U G C sponsored O. C /R. C, attending & presenting workshops, seminar, symposium, conference, group discussion, etc.
- Visit to National Institute: The B. Sc Part III (Major) in Zoology students used to visit different National Institutes every year for educational tour and field work as a part of their syllabus.
- Health Check-up Camp: On 12th September 2003, a health check-up camp was organized for the students, teachers and office employees by the Health and Hygiene Unit of the College.
- PaglarTek visit: Students of Botany and Zoology Dept. visited PaglarTek near the river Brahmaputra for a day-long field trip on 5th January 2004..
- Visit to Pygmy Hog Conservation Breeding Centre: A team of 13 students visited the Pigmy Hog Conservation centre on 28th March 2004 and attended lecture from Dr. Goutam Narayan, Programme Manager of the Centre.
- Contour map preparation workshop: Sri Subhash Das, Demonstrator of Bongaigaon Polytechnic delivered a lecture on how to draw a contour map of a study area, followed by a practical demonstration in the Herbal Garden in the college campus on 12th April 2004.
- Technical Education on Modern Fishery: The Fishery Extension Officers of Bongaigaon District Fishery Development Office delivered some special lectures to the students of B. Sc. Part III (Major) students of Zoology from 17th June to 19th June 2004. Subsequently a short excursion trip was made to Goroimari induced breeding centre on 20th June.
- MOU for Health Unit : Dr. M. C. Sarmah, Chief Medical Officer, BGR Hospital (IOCL), Dhaligaon did a MOU with the college Health & Hygiene Unit headed by Dr. Biplab Kr. Saha, Assoc. Prof. in Zoology.
- Awareness meeting: An Awareness meeting was held on 15th September, 2011 regarding Blood Donation and HIV/AIDS. Two doctors from Blood Bank, Bongaigaon Civil Hospital namely, Dr. S. L. Das and Dr. S. Bhattacharya have delivered their valuable lectures as resource person. The Blood Bank Technician, Mr. SahidulAlam Choudhury narrated the purpose of the meeting. In addition, two faculty members from Birjhora Mahavidyalaya, namely Dr. B. K. Saha (Programme Officer, RRC) and Dr. A. Borah have delivered their valuable lecture on Blood Donation and AIDS respectively.
- National Voluntary Blood Donation Day: On the occasion of National Voluntary Blood Donation Day (1st October), a Blood Donation camp was held on 26th of September, 2011 inside the campus of Birjhora Mahavidyalaya, Bongaigaon. In this camp, altogether 14 students have donated their valuable Blood.
- v World AIDS Day: On the occasion of World AIDS Day: 1stDecember 2011, a day long programme has been launched by different activities. On that occasion three types of events were conducted. The three different events were Drawing Competition, Slogan Campaign and Quiz competition among the students of Birjhora Mahavidyalaya, Bongaigaon. Prizes were distributed among the winners.
- Training programme for the Motivators of Voluntary Blood Donors held on 6th& 7th March 2012 conducted by Assam State AIDS Control Society, Khanapara, Guwahati- 22: Thirteen (13) RRC members of our college joined in the training programme for the motivators of Voluntary Blood Donors held at Conference Hall, Circuit House, Bongaigaon on 6th and 7th March 2012.
- On that occasion Dr. B. K. Saha, Programme Officer RRC, had delivered a talk on “Basic of Blood Science” as a resource person.
- Ichthyofaunal diversity study: Dept. of Zoology, Bongaigaon has taken an initiative to study the UGC’s educational innovative project “Ichthyofaunal diversity of Bongaigaon district”. Based on present findings it has been concluded that biodiversity of fish fauna in Bongaigaon district represents 51 species which belongs to 37 genus and 22 families. We also suggested that the diversity of fish fauna represents 51 species in our brief study which may be more in number in natural habitats. Extensive study might be useful to find out the actual species accounts. A brief report have been submitted on 23rd March 2012 under the supervision of Dr. B. K. Saha & Mr. P. K. Deka to the respected Principal, Dr. K. K. Sarma.
- SEMINARS ORGANIZED BY ZOOLOGY DEPARTMENT
- F Dr. Firoz Ahmed, Sub-divisional Medical & Health Officer, Bongaigaon delivered a talk on “AIDS and health awareness.” On 10th September 2003.
- F Dr. Bibhuti Prasad Lahkar, Organizing Secretary, Aaranyak, a society of biodiversity conservation in northeast India presented a lecture on “Present status and conservation of Manas National Park” on 18th September 2003.
- F Dr. Kaushik Deuti, a scientist from Zoological Survey of India, Kolkata delivered a presentation on ‘Wildlife of Sundarban’ on 11th October 2003.
- F Sri Abdul Wakid, a research scholar of Dibrugarh University presented a lecture on ‘Status and conservation of River Dolphin’ on 22nd November 2003
- F For the first time UGC & CSIR Sponsored National Seminar was conducted by Dept. Zoology on “Recent Research Thrust in Biodiversity Conservation – North East India: A hotspot of Biodiversity” held on 30th and 31st January 2012.
STUDENT’S ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE:
|YEAR||No. of Students Appeared||No. of Students Passed||% of Pass||I Class/ Distinction|
|2006||12||NIL||10||NIL||83||I Class-5, 2(D)|
|2007||8||2||8||2||100||I Class- 2, 2(D)|
|2008||12||1||11||1||92||I Class-2, 1(D)|
|2009||13||3||13||3||100||I Class-5, 2(D)|
|2010||12||7||11||4||78||I Class -5, 2(D)|
|2011||14||2||14||1||94||I Class -7, 5(D)|